Thursday, February 5, 2015

Kozol, "Amazing Grace"

Reflection:

Before i even started to read the article by Jonathan Kozol, I assumed it was going to be an overall happy article, because of the title "Amazing Grace". But by the time I finished reading the first few pages, I realized I was very wrong. More than anything else, I was merely shocked by the realism and "matter of fact" attitude and writing of the author.I never realized just how bad things are for some people. I guess, to some degree, I knew that things were  this bad for some people, in some places, but I could never imagine that it was this bad to this degree here in my own country. Maybe that's bias, or me not being realistic, but that's how I felt: how can things in this country be so bad in a place that's also considered on of the greatest cities in the entire world. I found myself asking alot, How can the city where Times Square is, where Broadway is, where Wall Street is, also be the same place where, in 1991, 84 people were murdered, more than 50% of whom were under 21, in the "deadliest block in the deadliest precinct of the city" (Kozol 5). To read about a city where children have to sleep in all of their winter clothes, and wear jackets, gloves, and hats, and sleep in a city provided sleeping bag in the winter and still have to pray they don't die in the middle of the night from hypothermia, while I sit at home, comfortably in pajama pants and a t shirt with the heat up as high as I want it...It not only makes me feel bad for them, but it sickens me that anybody should have to go through such hardship in the first place, especially when people come to this country for a better life. It's crazy to me that the things we have, like basic medical care, which I guess I do take for granted, is a luxury for the people in the Bronx and low income areas like that in New York. If i had a life threatening injury and went to the emergency room, I would be seen right away, but for Mrs. Washington, "I waited in the emergency room for two days, sitting in the chairs with  children vomiting up their food, and men with gunshot wounds; people with aids, and old people coughing up blood. On the third day I gave up and went back home" (16). I honestly don't know what I would do in that type of situation. It astounds me and even angers and sickens me a little bit that it even happens in the first place. This article reminds me of the Ullucci article, not so much in the teaching aspect, because this article didn't talk about that, but in how prevalent poverty really is. The entire Ullucci article talked about statistics regarding poverty and how it affected people of color significantly more than white people. The article also talked about how children being in poverty can affect their medical care, leaving them to deal with their health issues on their own. All of these issues and more were talked about in Kozol's article, at great length.

7 comments:

  1. I also thought that the article was going to be happy because of the title. This just shows how often we not only make assumptions on books, but people as well. It is very sad that our country has so many oppurtunities, but people are still suffering. Compared to the people of the South Bronx, we live in a life full of luxury, which some of us take for granted. I agree that this article was a hard read and not because of the text, but imagining all of these people suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I additionally thought this article was going to be much more positive based on the title, but it just shows you can't judge a book by its cover. I was so surprised by the topics discussed in the text and was glad others were just as shocked as me. Overall, good information and great job adding your personal thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you said about knowing that things are bad for some people but not realizing how close they may be to us is something that had also hit me pretty hard. Its truly amazing and unfortunate that people live like that. We have so much that most the time we don't think twice about. We are used to having everything that we need and more. There are people that worry about surviving the night at the same time that we are probably sleeping soundly in a comfortable bed with the heat on and doors locked. Great job tying everything all together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that the title was purposely meant to sound happy in order to highlight the harsh irony of the excerpt. As you said, it is hard to imagine that a place like this could exist in the same city as times square and wall street, but it is also hard to imagine that a place like this could exist in America in general. Instead of being "America the Beautiful", like it is portrayed as, there are also some very harsh aspects of this country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I agree with how you said that going into it I thought this was going to be a happy article. Sadly we were both mistaken. Like you said we are aware of poverty and its existence, but I had no idea it was this bad right here in our own country. Excellent reflection Josh

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article also reminded me of Ullicci's article with the connection between poverty. I really liked your post and I agree with everything you said. I can really connect with your response that we know poverty exists but can't imagine poverty being this bad in our own country, especially a state that is not far away from where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked reading your response to the article. Just like you, when reading the title of this article I had no idea it was going to be so sad. Like you said, it was surprising to read about extreme poverty happening in the United States. I always thought that was in third world countries. Overall, your reflection is excellent.

    ReplyDelete