Sunday, February 1, 2015

Delpit, "The Silenced Dialogue"

Quotes:


1. "Children from middle-class homes tend to do better in school than those from non-middle-class homes because the culture of the school is based on the culture of the upper and middle-classes - of those in power" (Page 25) 
        
     I think this quote is important, because to me it drives home. I went to a relatively low income school, where less than 45% of the student body was white and the 4-year graduation rate was 57%. I say this because my school failed to address the needs of the lower class students. They came in with skill gaps, and didn't address them, so they just grew and grew, falling behind, feeling inadequate; if they stopped and re-evaluated the way they did things, the lower class students might not have fallen through the cracks.


2.  "Those with power are frequently least aware of-or least willing to acknowledge- its existence. Those with less power are often most aware of its existence" (Page 26).

     This quote reminds me of the Johnson article, particularly about the argument of white privilege. Most of us don't know acknowledge it because most of us don't even know that white privilege exists because it has no effect on us, and don't know any other way than the way weve always been taught and brought up. 

3. "I suggest that schools must provide these children the content that other families from a different culture orientation provide at home.  This does not mean  separating  children according to family background, but instead, ensuring that each classroom incorporate strategies appropriate for all the children in its confines" (Page 30).

      I believe that this quote goes to the root of what it means to be a teacher. Not to judge a student by their background, but rather to teach for the sake of teaching, to better the students of tomorrow. 

For my sharing point, I would like to bring up the fact that throughout the article, Lisa Delpit constantly made a point to differentiate between black, white, latino, etc. I disagreed with that every time it was mentioned. A student is a student, and a teacher is a teacher. 


Link: an interview with Lisa Delpit about her article, The Silenced Dialogue



5 comments:

  1. That is so true and so important, that a student is a student and a teacher is a teacher just as a person is a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Christy said above me. I really find what you said powerful that a student is a student and a teacher is a teacher. Also I like how you also brought up the Johnson article involving white privilege. I also made that connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your first quote and how you related it to your school! However, what I find really weird is that I went to school in the same situation, but the students did not really fall behind. Some did, but not because our school didn't address the issue, just that they didn't want too. It's strange how there are different views that are considered important or not in different school districts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you on the statement that you made about “A student is a student, and a teacher is a teacher”. You picked really good quotes and made valid points on your explanation, can’t wait to hear more in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought all of your quotes worked extremely well with the prompt! The quote "A student is a student, and a teacher is a teacher" was especially eye-catching; so simple, but it expresses so much.

    ReplyDelete